The origins of the Solari can be traced all the way back to 1725, the year in which the Fratelli Solari Company was known as the “Antica e premiata fabbrica di orologi da torre” (Old and Awarded Tower Clock Factory).
Throughout Solari's history there were men that firmly believed in an idea and knew how to develop it and make it a success.
It all began with the first assembly plant in Pesariis (Italy), a small town within the dolomite mountains of the Friuli region, where tower clocks were built for a great part of the bell towers in Italy. Business then expanded from the Veneto region all the way down to Sicily. The company's interests were then developed abroad as well in places such as Istria, Dalmatia, in the Balcans, in Greece and finally in America. The continued growth of the company made it necessary to create a new factory in the city of Udine, built in 1948 by the brothers Fermo and Remigio Solari.
With the invention of the "flap", Solari moved on from the traditional analog clock to a new and modern way of viewing time, which thanks to the Cifra 3 brought Solari di Udine to the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. This technology was later applied to the public information sector as well.
In the 1950s Remigio designed modifications for the new flap clock models. Within a short period of time, the Cifra 5, Emera 5, Dator 5 and Dator 10 models were born. For their design, the company was awarded with "Compasso d' Oro" (Golden Compass) award, followed shortly by the "Mercurio d'Oro" (Golden Mercury) award in recognition of the quality of the products as well as the efficiency of the company organization.
The second "Compasso d'Oro" was awarded for the flap displays, with which the first information viewing system in the world was created in 1956 in the Liegi train station.
In the following years Solari entered the US market and later made itself known to the rest of the world through constant technological innovation.
For the 30 years following the Solari family era, large Italian industrial groups managed the company's affairs until finally a local entrepreneur named Massimo Paniccia became the new owner. His great merit has been to transform Solari into the winning economic model that it is today.